About Smokies Cabins
The Smokies Cabins Difference
We focus on anticipating our guests’ needs and providing the amenities you want and need. This is your vacation and we believe you deserve to be pampered. That’s why we provide thoughtful amenities for discerning travelers:
- Luxury amenities, such as Pharmacopia spa-grade, eco-friendly toiletries made with natural and organic botanicals that exfoliate, cleanse, and nourish your skin
- Well-supplied kitchen with spices, detergents, cleaning supplies, and ample paper products
- Vienna gourmet coffee, roasted and ground here in Blount County, and a selection of teas
- High-speed WiFi and cable/Roku streaming TV
- Library of area resource books, novels, magazines, and DVDs, plus lots of games, puzzles, and toys to keep you entertained
- Protection from bed bugs and allergens, with all pillows, mattresses, and box springs encased in protective covers
- Linens washed in allergen-free, eco-friendly detergent
- Superior customer service and 24/7 emergency contact
- Fairly flat, accessible location – no scary hills to climb!
- All that and a glorious view!
Just think of all the things you don’t have to bring or buy or worry about. Now that’s value!
The Ideal Location
Owl’s Hoot Chalet is conveniently located in Townsend, TN only 3 miles from the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park – but off the beaten path in a quiet mountain hollow.
Owl’s Hoot is easily accessible, just off Hwy 321 – with no scary, steep road or driveway. It is minutes from local attractions in Townsend, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Knoxville, TN (see list below).
This peaceful hollow was once a sacred meeting place of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and is still a harmonious, healing energy vortex.
To help you plan your vacation after you arrive, we provide notebooks with brochures and menus from area businesses. We also have plenty of resource books on hiking, fishing, scenic drives, and other popular activities. Meanwhile, here are some area attractions.
Townsend attractions/activities within 5 miles:
- Smoky Mountain Visitors Center
- Little River (fishing, tubing, swimming, swinging bridges)
- Townsend Riverwalk/Arboretum and Historical Trail
- Tuckaleechee Caverns
- Great Smoky Mountaings Heritage Center (open-air museum)
- Little River Railroad and Lumber Company Museum
- Art galleries and local arts/crafts and heritage festivals
- Plus hiking, golfing, horseback riding, go-carting, bicycling, shopping, and wine tasting
- Foothills Parkway (11 mi)
- Cades Cove (16 mi)
- Clayton Center for the Arts (16 mi)
- AMC Foothills Movie Theatre (18 mi)
- Pigeon Forge, Dollywood, and outlet malls (18 mi)
- Gatlinburg (25 mi)
- Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort (25 mi)
- Chilhowee Lake, Knoxville (25 mi)
- Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies, Gatlinburg (27 mi)
- Neyland Stadium, UT football, Knoxville, TN (30 mi)
- Downtown Knoxville Market Square District (34 mi)
- Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame, Knoxville TN (35 mi)
- Knoxville Riverfront (35 mi)
- The Cove at Concord Park, Fort Loudon Lake, Knoxville (37 mi)
- Knoxville Zoo (38 mi)
- Cherokee, NC (52 mi) –
From our blog: Cherokee NC, A Cultural Day Trip from Townsend TN
- Museum of Appalachia (52 mi)
Unlike most cabins in the area, Smokies Cabins are pet-friendly, and we even offer a 5-acre meadow for them to run and play in! See our rental agreement for policies and the Owl’s Hoot page for fees.
About Your Hosts
Myra Southern and Rob Wright are pleased to offer our family cabins for your use and enjoyment. Hideaway on the Creek, the first rental cabin in Townsend, has been in Myra’s family since 1978, and Owl’s Hoot Chalet was built by her parents in 1992. We met several years ago, hiking in the Smokies, and were married in the meadow at Owl’s Hoot Chalet in April 2012. We live in nearby Maryville and seek every opportunity to “work” at Smokies Cabins. When we’re not renovating and managing our homes, we enjoy traveling, cooking, arts and crafts, live music, hiking, and adoring our grandchildren.
Myra has more than 35 years of property management experience and is also a freelance writer. Rob has his own business, Do It Wright Home Improvements. Together, we manage our cabins entirely… from marketing and reservations to cleaning and maintenance. We are driven by one goal: to provide you with beautiful, comfortable, well-appointed homes so that you can have the best vacations possible.
Smokies Cabins is pleased to support several deserving charities, including Great Smoky Mountains Assn., Friends of the Smokies, Appalachian Bear Rescue, The Nature Conservancy, National Parks Conservation, The Audubon Society, Big Brothers Big Sisters of East Tennessee, and the Blount County Food Connection.